Chesley Ticker

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

28 Week Appt.

I went to the doctor yesterday for my monthly check-up and Baby Quinn is doing great. Heart rate was 144, which all the heart rate readings have been in the 140's except one which was 154- what is the wives tale about gender? 150's is a girl, 130's is a boy? So my child is telling us nothing? Let me know if anyone can remember how that one goes.
This was the first appointment that I have gone to without Percy, and he was the one really worried about it, asking if I need him there for the glucola (sp?) test. For anyone who doesn't know, this is the test for gestational diabetes and is a standard screening everyone has around 28-30 weeks. It involves drinking this nasty, sickly, sweet, sugar water concoction then trying not to throw it up in the waiting room while people stare at you, then you wait an hour and get blood drawn and they give you the results in less thank 5 min.
My friend Gracie informed me I would have to sit there an hour to wait to have my blood drawn (thanks for the heads up Gracie!), so I took a book to pass the time. Mistake #1 I took a book that I had been told was funny but my mistake was in not comprehending how freakin' hilarious the book was- "The Girlfriends Guide to Pregnancy". My mother in law gave it to me for mother's day (thanks DT!) and told me I wasn't supposed to read it till later on in my pregnancy- I still haven't figured out why- but I can tell you why you shouldn't read it in public. I sit down and start reading and the nurse brings me my oh so refreshing hummingbird solution (i don't know for sure that this is what it tastes like but imagine the most cloyingly sweet syrup ever) and I take a swig and almost gag. Let me also mention here that my dear friend Haaga told me, "You might not like it as much as I did but I loved the taste of it!" Haaga is apparently a very poor judge of flavor- bc this stuff is awful! I decide to go for the 'toss it back asap' approach but literally cannot drink more than a couple of mouthfuls in a row quickly. So then I go back to reading and try and casually drink the nastiness as if it was one of my cherished Diet Cokes- this is kinda working until the book makes me laugh and I almost spew all over the lady across from me. So I finally get close enough to the bottom of the bottle to just open my throat and pour it down (no clue where i learned that trick) and shiver with revulsion as I try and stifle a belch before returning to my book. Well, I got called back soon thereafter so everyone around me was spared the ensuing burps that came once I was alone in the exam room. Then- back to the book. I have some real time to read now and I get a little ways into it and laugh freely since I am alone and not in public and not drinking sugar water with a twist of lime anymore.

Mistake #2 I just shouldn't let myself get going at all because I can really get sucked into a laughing fit and not return for hours (just ask Percy- he banned me from watching America's Funniest Home Videos in bed bc i laugh so hard I wake him up). I got so tickled by this book that before I have time to think about it I am also crying with big fat tears running down my face and no chance of being able to rein myself in. Then my doctor walks in, of course my doctor walks in!- what you need to know about Dr. Pickens is that he is a bigger smart aleck than myself and he has recognized this fact and he enjoys picking at me about things I don't know enough about to be able to get back at him. I should hate this man but for some reason I get a kick out of him- and I just know he is going to get a kick out of me crying from laughter on the exam table, alone. He stopped halfway into the room and said, "Either you replaced the husband with something far more entertaining or your reading one of those chick lit books that has your pregnancy hormones in over drive. Tell me its the first one." I told him I was in fact laughing hard enough to cry, not crying bc of something sweet and he said, "Did you do this in the waiting room? Bc we have enough crazy out there with all the pregnant mamas. I don't need you adding your 2 cents to the mix. And where is your husband? He never lets you act like this." I finally gain enough control to wipe my eyes and breathe deeply and answer his questions but I never really got to explain bc he had moved on with the appointment. BUT- I passed my diabetes test with flying colors and learned a valuable lesson about taking that book in public-- but I highly recommend it for at home reading bc it really is hilarious.

7 comments:

The Marlin's said...

Amen on the drink. It is terrible!!! Now as for the book, I loved that book!! It is so to the point!! I can just see you in the waiting room laughing your head off!! Love you

Dehmer Family said...

That stuff is DISGUSTING!!! I an an old pro since I have done it # times now.. The lemon lime is the best bet. It just tastes like a flat sprite....not too sweet. You never commented on my name idea. Pruett for a boy...what do you think? Love, Linz

The Ueltschey's said...

Okay, this was so funny! I read that book my last pregnancy...Oh and I failed that stupid sugar test last time and had to go in for a 4 hour test (which I also failed)...that drink was much bigger and nastier!! I told the lady I might throw up on her. Haaga is crazy :)

Yes, I am driving some people insane by not finding out...mainly my sister and dad, but I think that it's been really fun to not know! I'll see how the rest of the time goes (and the birth) and then I might have to go this route for #3...way down the road.

Hope you feeling good!

derek and brittney said...

ok..if i remember right Beckett's HR stayed in the 160's early on and then dropped in the 140's for the last few months. I always heard that if the HR was in the
140's that meant BOY...which is what i think you are having by the way. I saw your pic and you look a lot like i did pregnant.
I got to take the diabetes drink at home so i put it in the freezer that morning and then before i had to leave i took it in "shots" My logic was it works for alcohol and since it was so cold it make it a lot more bareable! Derek thought i was crazy for pouring orange cola in a shot glass but whatever works right:)

K said...

Your doctor is a bigger smart aleck than you are? I thought only I reserved that title?

Hope you're feeling good. I say a prayer for you and Percy, little PercyBeth and Weeza everynight. I miss yall and believe it or not..get kind of homesick when I think about missing out on seeing your big belly.

I'm leaving Thailand tonight and going back to Mozambique. I will no longer be in twelve hour difference time zone but I won't have much access to the internet. Soo.... you have to call me!!!!!!!!

Love you lots. Give little PercyBeth a little love pat on the belly for me.

Lots of hugs and kisses
Katie

P.S. Everytime I look at this blog I start to get tears. I think these hormones are contagious through the computer or something....

The Segrest Family said...

hahah, you make me laugh, liz. and i am one of those who don't mind the drink - i too (like brit) got to take it home and put in my fridge - but you have to drink in a 5 minute span 45 minutes before you go in... drinking it fast was hard for me - but i dont think it is that gross; i know - hate me!
and my boys' heartrates varied - nash's was higher, so we thought girl, but alas! he is a boy =) i think that is just a myth anyway -
=)
we need more belly pics on here - and what about a nursery pic?

Soccer Aunt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.